Dolly Parton (1946-2026)
The country music legend, actress, and philanthropist Dolly Parton has died. She was 80. I'm not a huge fan of country music; from what I hear, she was also a talented actress.
While Dolly had a long and successful career in music, with such memorable songs as "Jolene," "9 to 5," "Islands in the Stream" (with Kenny Rogers), and "I Will Always Love You" (later covered by Whitney Houston for her 1992 movie "The Bodyguard"), her acting career was shorter than her time spent performing country music. She began her film career in 1980 when she starred in the iconic movie "9 to 5," opposite Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda. While on set, she spontaneously wrote its iconic theme, producing the memorable rhythm simply by scraping her nails together. Her theme song became Dolly's first number one single on the Hot 100.
Her other movies include "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" opposite Burt Reynolds, "Rhinestone" opposite Sylvester Stallone, "Steel Magnolias," and "Joyful Noise."

No comments:
Post a Comment