Monday, August 11, 2014

Film Guru Lad's Top 6 Movies of 2012

Sorry I've kept all of you disappointed. I was supposed to finish and then publish the top five greatest movies for 2012. For some who might know, 2012 was not as extraordinary as 2011. It, however, showed us some exquisite films, whether or not they are big hits or, to a lesser extent, minor successes, in my opinion. Now I look forward to your comments about your favourite movies for 2012.

(UPDATED 27/11/14) Hi, there, ladies and gents! I like to announce an update to this post you are reading, I only had a list of five top films, but I have amended this to six top films. The reason for this because I have forgotten one movie to rank on the list, which is The Muppets. It's one of those two movies that brought back the characters I knew from childhood, and you must forgive me for the delay. I haven't had time to re-watch it until now.


#6. The Three Stooges

Not exactly the best comedy of 2012, THE THREE STOOGES paid homage to the classic shorts of the 1930s and '40s. Despite its deficits, it could have been better in black and white. It appealed to me because a fan of the amusing trio like myself liked only its non-stop hilarity of the physical and slapstick comedy. Now when did these three ever learn to be idiots? Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!





It's time to play the music. It's time to light the lights. It's time to see the Muppets back on the big screen after 1999 was a flop for them. It's got the same old magic and laughter as in the record. It is re-discovered to appeal to the new generation of those who haven't grown up with Jim Henson's characters, including Kermit, The Swedish Chef, Fozzie and my favourite, The Great Gonzo. It also featured the new and old celebrity guest stars of Jack Black, Jim Parsons and Whoopi Goldberg.




#4. The Dark Knight Rises

The last of Christopher Nolan's rebooted series, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, is not for the character who was soon to be in the new Superman movie with Affleck stepping up to the mantle as Batman. As you know, with Heath Ledger, unfortunately, passed on, the Bat saga instead became a trilogy. It was equally as entertaining as its predecessor and equipped with an extravaganza of complexion and action. I'm surprised the series hasn't gone downhill because of its culmination. It's still a superb addition to the director and the Bat fandom.



#3. Hugo

It's not only a family drama movie about a young orphan wanting to discover a family secret. This film depicts a lovely story about the spirit of finding the legendary cinema pioneer. Director Martin Scorsese delights viewers with his unique interpretation of the family feature genre, unlike some of his work that is not accessible for people too young to watch due to the mature parental ratings. It's a movie that has a name, HUGO!





#2. Skyfall

Now I'm divided on which Bond film is better: Goldfinger or GoldenEye. However, SKYFALL compels viewers to see the more gritty and rough take on James Bond. Daniel Craig continues the saga of his character for the third time after the disappointing fiasco of Quantum of Solace. I think the director tried to go back to the basics in the origins, like adding Q and creating much of the charm owed to the originals. That is why it is the second-best Bond film of all time.



#1. The Avengers

It may seem impossible to create a superhero movie based on a comic book with so many heroes but THE AVENGERS. The rule has been broken, thanks to the direction by Joss Whedon, witty comedy, imploding action and a big ensemble cast of Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth and others. This top-dollar film earns itself as the best movie of 2012, enough for Warner Bros to begin pre-production on the Justice League film. Let's hope the second instalment matches the expectations and standards of the first superhero epic.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent choices you have here! The Avengers is my favorite of 2012 as well, with Skyfall behind it. The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that I enjoyed a lot more the first time I watched it, with my opinion of it degrading every time I watched it. I still enjoyed, and it still makes my Top 5 of 2012, but it could have been better. The Dark Knight is still the best Batman movie as far as I am concerned.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you changed your opinion of The Dark Knight (TDK), I was beginning to think you prefer Batman Begins. You can look up now at TDK review that I made some big updates.

      Delete