Monday, 30 September 2013

Dragonball Evolution Review (Updated)














Dragonball Evolution


Release Date: 9th April 2009 - Australia


Production Companies
20th Century Fox (presents)
Star Overseas

Distribution
20th Century Fox Australia


Genre: Sci-Fi

Rating: PG

Runtime: 82 minutes


Budget: $30,000,000

Box Office Gross: $57,497,699
(Worldwide)


Plot Summary
For his eighteenth birthday,
mild-mannered Goku is
given a mystical Dragonball,
one of only seven in
existence which combine
to grant a perfect wish to
whoever possesses them.
But an ancient warlord
named Piccolo has escaped
eternal imprisonment and
is on his own quest to
gather the Dragonballs.
Goku must enlist the help
of his friends-and the
power of his evolving
martial arts skills-to defeat
Piccolo before it's too
late!


Cast
Justin Chatwin - Goku
Emmy Rossum - Bulma
Jamie Chung - Chi Chi
Chow-Yun Fat - Roshi
James Marsters - Lord Piccolo
Joon Park - Yamacha
Eriko Tamura - Mai
Randall Duk Kim - Gohan
Ernie Hudson - Sifu Norris
Texas Battle - Carey Fuller

Crew
Director - James Wong
Based on Graphic Novel
Series "Dragonball"/
Executive Producer -
Akira Toriyama
Screenplay - Ben Ramsay
Producer - Stephen Chow
Special Make-Up Effects
Designers and Creators -
Alec Gilis and Tom
Woodruff, Jr.
Production Designer - Bruton Jones
Creature and Makeup Effects
Co-Designers - Alec Gills and Tom Woodruff Jr.
Director of Photography -
Robert McLachlan
Co-Fight Choreographer/
Stunts - Ryan Watson
Creature Supervisor - Eric Hayden
Visual Effects Supervisors -
Dongho Lee and Ariel Velasco-Shaw
Film Editors - Matthew
Friedman and Chris Willingham
Music - Brian Tyler


Review
In my hopes to watch a film that is worthy of my time and entertaining, I was shocked to instead watch this bland piece of inhumanity that is DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION. I know it's going to be hard to express my inner feelings of disappointment of this tainted wrath. I am a very loyal fanatic to the action anime show of Dragon Ball Z and what the film-makers have tried to sketch out in this film is a failed adaptation that makes me want to whinge like a big sook. How unforgivable that they wasted a budget of $30 million dollars for the special effects or the script writing, John Woo should not have been given the director's seat based on this work with this garbage. The acting and dialogue of the performers were mistakenly chosen, particularly Justin Chatwin for not portraying the typical Super Saiyan hero Goku, with the exception of James Marsters for doing well as the ruthless villain Piccolo that was actually rather good. There is also a package of few pleasant funny bits that made me laugh.

I do not wish to contend with DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION or watch it again, but it's an underserving fantasy with lack of elements being featured to please the fans. In the quotation of Vegeta, "It's over 9000!".

Star rating: (2/5) Bad Movie


4 comments:

  1. Even though I have not seen Dragon Ball Z, I have heard how terrible of an adaptation of the anime the movie is.
    Just curious, do you like any other anime series? My favorites are, Code Geass, Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know you are supportive of anime but Dragon Ball Z isn't the only one I watched, Gundam Wing was second followed by other show I used to watch Pokemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I have recently became an Otaku (anime fan) after loving Death Note and those other shows I mentioned. I have heard a lot about Gundam Wing, I should probably give one of the franchise's many series a try sometime.

      -James

      Delete
    2. I love that phrase, I'll probably look forward of what you're doing to mention.

      Delete