Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Rain Man Review (Updated)








Rain Man


Release Date: 23rd February 1989 - Australia


Production Companies
United Artists (presents)
The Guber/Peters Company
Star Partners II (in association with)


Genre: Drama

Rating: M

Runtime: 128 minutes


Budget: $25,000,000

Box Office Gross: $354.825,435
(Worldwide)


Plot Summary
Heartless Charlie Babbitt
expects a vast inheritance
after his estranged father
dies. But Raymond, his
institutionalized older brother,
someone he's been totally
unaware of, is willed the
entire fortune instead.
Raymond is an autistic
savant with severely limited
mental abilities in some
areas but with genius gifts
in others. When Charlie
kidnaps Raymond, the
crazy cross-country drive
back to Los Angeles teaches
them both a few lessons in
life. For as they overcome
their mutual distrust of each
other, a deep bond is forged
as they painfully share past
memories, present problems
and a possible shining future
together.


Cast
Tom Cruise - Charlie Babbitt
Dustin Hoffman - Raymond Babbitt
Valeria Golino - Susanna
Jerry Molen - Dr. Gerald Bruner
Bonnie Hunt - Sally Dibbs
Michael D. Roberts - Vern

Crew
Director - Barry Levinson
Story/Screenplay - Barry Morrow
Screenplay - Ronald Bass
Producer - Mark Johnson
Co-Producer - Gerald R. Molen
Production Designer - Ida Random
Director of Photography - John Seale
Film Editor - Stu Linder
Music - Hans Zimmer


Awards

1989 Academy Awards
Best Picture - Mark Johnson (Won)
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Dustin Hoffman
(Won)
Best Director - Barry Levinson (Won)
Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for
the Screen - Ronald Bass and Barry Morrow
(Won)
-------------------------
Best Cinematography - John Seale (Nominated)
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration - Ida Random
and Linda DeScenna (Nominated)
Best Film Editing - Stu Linder (Nominated)
Best Music, Original Score - Hans Zimmer (Nominated)


Review 
To be fair, I’m never quite the fan of movies that include people that are affected by a disability like autism, for RAIN MAN it was the only one of these films that I had just seen. As I not only find that the story is heartwarming and Dustin Hoffman’s acting for the character of Raymond Babbitt was great, the only things that I appreciate more is Tom Cruise’s performance as the car-hustler of a main character Charlie, the music composure by Hans Zimmer and the best moment were Charlie plays card-counting with Raymond in black-jack. 

Okay, I had to admit, RAIN MAN isn't the best film that I liked; it’s very thoughtful and still a great classic and the people who might want to look at it would persistently give it a try, I might say that this movie could be a little offensive or little insulting towards people who have Autism or Aspergers Syndrome.

Star rating: (4/5) Good Movie


3 comments:

  1. While I too, have never cared to see films with this theme. I have always wanted to see Rain Man and probably will in the near future.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for the comment James the Movie Reviewer, I'm glad that you're not the only one who didn't care this important thing about disability and keep on doing what you wanted to do on your blog-site.

      Delete
  2. What I previously said made me sound like an inconsiderate jerk and I would like to clarify. What I meant by "Films with that theme" were depressing films, while I do believe they need to be made, I do not usually enjoy them. I do relate to movies about disabilities because my father is disabled. Great review though.

    -James

    ReplyDelete